Cello: Week 5

This week we began learning how to read music is class. It turns out that there is EVEN MORE to learn that I didn’t realize existed! We were given some practice worksheets to take home, and I feel even more lost. I am really going to have to spend some time learning this skill. I realize I have been saying that for the past 5 weeks, but this time I mean it!

My cello has been going in and out of tune, so I finally decided to pull the trigger and invest in a $20 tuner. I did try to use some different apps initally, but they didn’t seem to register anything even remotely close. What I love about having this tool, is that I can watch the tuner as I play! It’s making it a lot easier for me to recognize notes which is awesome! I would like to be able to recognize them by ear eventually… I don’t think thats too unreasonable.

This week, I wasn’t able to practice as much as I would have liked to. My bestfriend (who lives in Vancouver) brought her first born into the world, and I went over to Vancouver to meet the new bundle of joy, and visit my recovering friend. I was a bit anxious to see how things would go on the cello, and was really happy to see that it didn’t seem to impact my musical abilities. I will admit that I did consider bringing my cello with me!

One thought on “Cello: Week 5

1. Hello Ashley!
    I agree with you, I was definitely overwhelmed in that music class for sure! I’m really grateful for the time that you, Alysha and I spent yesterday working together. Congratulations to your friend and her new baby! Woohoo! That must have been so nice to see both of them.
    I also think it was a great decision to buy a tuner so then you know what you are playing is in tune which will definitely make things a lot easier and sound good too.
    -Bella 🙂